© 2021 Friedler Dental Group
Dental Crowns in Guilford, CT
Dental crowns, commonly referred to as caps, are a form of restorative dentistry meant to improve health, restore integrity, and cosmetically improve damaged teeth. Dental crowns are most commonly used in situations involving severe tooth decay that surpass the typical dental filling ability. Sometimes, a cavity grows to such a large size that it would be unsafe for the integrity of your tooth to fill it with a filling material and leave it like that. In cases like this, it is necessary to place a dental crown over the top of the filled tooth to ensure its integrity. In other cases, dental crowns are not applied to teeth with severe decay, but an injury, usually sports-related.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are essentially a cap that is placed over a damaged tooth that can improve its Integrity, but the way it looks as well. It serves to reinforce the tooth and cover over the unsightly appearance of the damage underneath the cap. While you may be accustomed to seeing children wearing metal caps, dental crowns can be made from a variety of materials, including tooth-colored materials that appear natural in your mouth.
Why Might You Need a Dental Crown?
All over the world, consumers and Guilford dentists alike have utilized dental crowns for many reasons. Below you will find a list of different uses for dental crowns that might interest you.
- A badly discolored tooth can be covered with a crown to make it more cosmetically pleasing. Many people even prefer gold crowns.
- When receiving a dental implant, sometimes crowns are used to secure the false tooth into place.
- If a tooth is naturally misshapen or chipped due to injury, a crown can cover it with ease.
- Adding a cap to a large filling restores the integrity of your damaged tooth.
- Broken or severely cracked teeth can be treated using a dental crown.
- If a tooth is in danger of breaking, your dentist may suggest using a dental crown.
- In children, a dental crown is sometimes used to protect teeth from decay. However, a dental sealant is also effective for this reason.
If you live in Guilford, CT or the surrounding area and believe you are a good candidate for a dental crown, please contact Friedler Dental Group today. Services are also available for those residing in the surrounding communities of Madison, Clinton, Westbrook, East Haven, Branford, and North Branford – convenient to anyone living on the Shoreline of Connecticut. Visit us today!